a little more fluid

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Learning vicariously

Once Jess and I agreed that we can justify spending lots of time reading, or even watching movies - because what we're really doing is studying life. These days I can't seem to make much time to read, so I listen to lots of books on tape/CD. I think "reading" (can I call it reading when I'm actually just listening?) fiction is very important. Jess and I figured that we can observe some of life's mistakes being made by characters in stories, rather than having to make them all ourselves.

I just finished listening to Big Love by Sarah Dunn. Who recommended that to me? Jess? Cate? I have mixed reviews for this book. It was poorly written, poorly read, and shallow. But it made me laugh out loud. Often. Like every few minutes or so. The story of Alison, whose live in boyfriend goes out for some mustard and then calls and says he's in love with someone else and won't be coming back. The story of the following month or so in Alison's life, her heartbreak, sleeping with her boss, thinking she's pregnant, spending lots of time with really good friends. I want one or two of you to read/listen to this book, and tell me what you think.

4 Comments:

  • At 4/24/2005 9:59 PM, Blogger Jess said…

    It wasn't me that recommended it, but I'd be willing to give it a shot and tell you what I think, if no one else has read it.

     
  • At 4/26/2005 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm willing to read it, but it seems the library doesn't have it...could that be so?

     
  • At 4/26/2005 9:39 PM, Blogger toni said…

    DON'T READ IT. REALLY. IT'S BAD. IF YOU MUST SUBJECT YOURSELF TO IT - LISTEN TO IT!

     
  • At 4/26/2005 9:39 PM, Blogger toni said…

    that said, do listen to it - it's quite a hoot.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who Links Here