a little more fluid

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Just because I have a lot of friends...

The other day my neighbors were in my bedroom (because that's mostly where I stay, so it's where people visit me) and as they were leaving I said, "Okay, now I'll just get back to writing a blog post about my neighbors." They probably thought I was kidding. But I really do blog about them a lot. Here was the first. This was before I really knew them.

Just now I went downstairs to get some dinner. Sometimes I hop instead of crutch. It's easier sometimes. Especially when I want to use my hands. Which I do, when I'm getting some dinner. Even if all I can manage as far as Getting Some Dinner goes is eating cold pizza out of the fridge and some baby carrots. Anyway, my neighbor was standing in his doorway, across the street. And saw me hopping. And started imitating me. His wife says I should take is as a compliment, he only makes fun of people he likes. He makes fun of me all the time. He has two favorite topics. His first is the fact that I'm never home. Doesn't seem very mockable, does it? But he's found a way to hassle me about it. As if I have some obligation to be home, to keep the neighborhood company. When I come home he'll say, "I bet you're leaving in a couple minutes, huh?" Well, he can't use that topic anymore because now that I can't walk or drive or anything I am ALWAYS HOME. Practically. However, now that I'm always home I have a lot of visitors. So that's his new favorite Hassle Toni Topic. So, when he was hopping around in his doorway and making fun of me I hopped over to my doorway and held up a piece of mail and said in a taunting voice, "I have some mail for you..." It worked. He came over. And took his mail. And then he said, "Who's spending the night tonight?" It's a good thing I like my neighbors. I like them a lot. If I didn't like them I would be incredibly creeped out by how nosey they are. They know everything about me. They knew things about me that my best friends of 14 years don't know about me - and they knew these things BEFORE I EVEN MOVED IN! I don't know how. Like I said, if I didn't like them a lot I'd be really creeped out. Anyway, K likes to give me a hard time about having so many friends visit. So I told him my friend Jessalynn is coming up from Portland, and will be spending the night tonight. (That's funny. Just as I typed that she called to say she's on her way.) I hate that he assumes someone is spending the night tonight, and he's RIGHT. I said, in a teenager sort of voice, "It's not like people spend the night every night!!!" And he just smirked and said, "I wish I had a camera." "For all the cars?" "For all the cars." "Did you see the green Jetta last night?" "I did." Maren, my neighbor caught you visiting me.

Really, I really, really like my neighbors. In fact, I'll have to make them POTD one of these days soon.

Yesterday my sister graduated from high school. Today we had a nice, little party for her at the park.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who Links Here