a little more fluid

Friday, April 29, 2005

books and movies

I've been going to the library twice a week for awhile. Nearly a year, I think. I used to go Mondays and Thursdays, now it's Mondays and Fridays.

Today I walked up to the counter and the librarian had my pile of holds waiting for me. She saw me coming, and knew who I was! I was delighted and said, "Wow, good job." She said, "Yeah, you get to know the regulars." I could barely contain my delight. (I really tried to find a different word to use there. I know I used that same word last sentence. I tried and tried to vary my word choice, but in both instances delight is exactly what I meant. Sorry, Mrs. High School English Teacher who I learned so much from.) I smiled and said to her, "It's nice to be a regular." She smiled in agreement and we shared a moment.

It's true. Being a regular is one of the things that puts a huge smile on my face. I remember the day I approached the counter at Batdorf & Bronsen and Caitlin (I have names for most of the baristas there, which may or may not be their actual names, I'm not sure.) said, "Cup of... holiday blend, for here?" I loved that. Being known. Being consistent enough that even other people know my routines! I know some people dread that possiblity. But I think it's delightful.

2 Comments:

  • At 4/30/2005 6:21 PM, Blogger Jess said…

    I like being a regular, too. I know a lot of people who come to storytime at the library, but I don't always know their names. But them and their kids I totally recognize and say hi to.

     
  • At 4/30/2005 6:51 PM, Blogger toni said…

    what was so cool at the library was not just that she recognized me. because i think they all recognized me every time i go. it was that she knew my name. she saw me, she knew i was coming to pick up holds, she went and got them off the shelf. before i even saw her. that was great.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who Links Here