a little more fluid

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Divisibility

When I was a kid and into that sort of thing, 24 was my favorite number. I liked it because it was so neat and even. Predictable. Reliable. Easy. If you're trying to divide it by something, chances are it will work. 2? Certainly. 3? Why, yes! 4? That too! As well as 6 and 8 and 12. Very nice.

There was a switch sometime when I was about 15, and prime numbers became much more appealing to me. Is that a normal developmental stage? Was it just that I'd mastered division and was no longer so daunted by numbers like 137? I'm not sure. Suddenly I was comforted by 7s in a way that I once had been by 6s.

Just before I turned 23 a friend pointed out that, being a prime age, I was likely to have a Prime Year.

So, if that was a prime year, I'm quite curious to see what this excessively divisible year holds in store.

1 Comments:

  • At 5/21/2005 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you make a flower arrangement, a prime number of flowers looks better. Try it, you'll see. I favor 24 also, but in certain moods.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who Links Here