a little more fluid

Thursday, May 12, 2005

DT

I believe it was my second year of college. I've always always always been very habit bound. I like to do the same thing at the same time in the same way. I like that predictability. So I get into routines very nicely. For example, right now it's Thursday at 3:30 and I'm at Batdorf & Bronson. Where I always am. By that I don't meant that I'm almost always at this coffee shop on Thursday afternoons. I mean that every single Thursday at 3:30 I'm sitting ON THIS COUCH at this coffee shop. Because I like it here. And because I like routines. And because at 12:30 on Thursdays I eat (little mama with eggs scrambled, biscuit, hashbrowns crispy - unless they are out of biscuits, which happens, then I have a veggie benedict) at New Moon with Beth. And after lunch we come here. To B&B. And then at some point she leaves to go to school or something. And I say here. And do whatever.

What I just thought of, though, was a little routine I had my second year of college. Downtime. We scheduled it in. Cullen and I had downtime after lunch... I think on Monday, Wednesday, Fridays. Downtime consisted of Doing Nothing. It was a time set aside to lie on my bed and look at the ceiling and chat. Or maybe snooze. Sometimes we talked about how many of the 50 states we'd been to (he won) or made up names for other LC students. But we always had downtime. And it was scheduled in. Like, we'd be planning our day out, and would write: 12:30-1:45 DT.

And I miss that. I wish I had room in my scheule, just set aside, to rest.

2 Comments:

  • At 5/13/2005 11:01 AM, Blogger Autumn Hoverter, MS, RD said…

    Downtime is a wonderful thing. I have some now and I'm fighting toothe and claw to keep it. Seems to me that with the surgery coming up, you will have some down time. This will be a wonderful opportunity to schedule some in as your life gets back to normal.

     
  • At 5/21/2005 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lovely idea, this down time. In my work travels, I've been talking about the importance of scheduling it in the preschool day for children. But I have it less than once a week for myself.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who Links Here