a little more fluid

Thursday, June 23, 2005

... and the doctor said...

"Yes, Toni, you can go ahead and take your boot off. And, yes, Toni, you can also take that ACE bandage off. And, yes, Toni, I'd say you can even go without an ACE bandage. You can even wash your foot a little. Then put a sock on, and get that boot back on."

And, as if I haven't heard this enough times, "NO WALKING!"

WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE THAT:
I had a horrible night last night. Painful and wakeful. I've had this terrible, itchy, hot, burny, gooey sensation in my boot. Too moist. My heel was unbareably raw from friction from the ACE bandage and moisture and heat. I absolutely could not handle it. Being the rule following surgery recoverer that I am, I left my boot on just like I was told. But yesterday morning, first thing, upon waking, I had to rip that velcro off and hair dry that sucker. I just couldn't stand it one second longer. Then, last night, I felt like that all night long. I spent the night taking off my boot - laying vigilantly still - putting my boot back on and once again feeling secure - becoming unable to stand the gooey, burning, grating pain - removing the boot - fearing that I'd move my ankle in some Life Ending way - laying vigilantly still... and not sleeping at all. At 3:35 am I wanted to call my doctor. At home. I know her cell phone number. And ask if I could take my boot off. And ask if she'd come over and check it. I really wanted to call her. It's not that I couldn't stand the pain. It was that I couldn't stand the discomfort. I was indescribably uncomfortable.

So this morning I woke up, and called up my dear, sweet doctor and asked her WHAT I SHOULD DO!!!!

No more ACE bandage, she told me?!? Could that be? Is it true? Am I really free from that restrictive, thermogenic wrap of hell??? Unbelievable. I rolled over on my little rolling chair to my sock drawer, testing all my socks against my cheek, trying to find the softest most comforting sock for my weary and abused footsie. I selected the best, and proceeded to remove my boot. Pause with terror. Think of removing the wrap. Fear that my foot would fall off. Lightly, gently, tenderly... remove... the... wrap. Hold my foot perfectly still. Well, what do you know, LOOK AT HOW TIGHTLY THAT WAS WRAPPED!! (See below - no wonder the pain was unsleepthroughable!) And check out that incision. Not too bad. (The blue is the surgeon's drawing, the plan for the incision.) Not even too swollen.

So, wow, today was a big day. As far as the foot goes. Unveiling. Wow. Significant. I fought the urge to call my doctor three or four times more today - just to make sure that the post-wrap-removal pain I'm experiencing isn't concern worthy.

But, relax, Toni. I think it's okay. Ice pack, elevation, things are okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who Links Here