a little more fluid

Sunday, June 26, 2005

sugar

I ate about 10 Starbursts today. 10 Starbursts aren't a whole boy lot.

(I used to take care of a two year old who taught me that phrase. He'd say things like, "I want a boy lot of oatmeal, please." I think it carried the meanings of "oh boy, that's a lot.")

But it still felt like a lot in my tummy. And it reminded me of the day Sarah moved away. I believe it was that day. That first day Sarah was gone. But maybe it was a day or two later. Devin and I, grief stricken, 16 years old, cut up construction paper and stapled it into loops and made count down chains to count down the days until we'd see Sarah again. We made one for her house and one for mine. And we ate a bag of Starbursts. The entire thing. While we made those chains and missed our friend.

That was a boy lot of Starbursts. And we felt very sick. And I don't think either of us ate any Starbursts for a long time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who Links Here