a little more fluid

Monday, May 16, 2005

on a lighter note...

i have a certain friend who likes to give me a hard time about being such a child of the 80s. i mean, yes, i was a child in the 80s. but i don't really think i'm any more a child of the 80s than... well, her. so, today i got this foward. and i laughed a lot. and i'd like to share it with y'all. i bolded the ones i could relate to. and added my own comments in italics.

You Know You Grew Up In The 80's or Early 90's If:

1. You've ever ended a sentence with the word "SIKE". (chendo)
2. You watched the Pound Puppies.
3. You can sing the rap to the "Fresh Prince of BelAir" ...and can do the"Carlton". (totally!)
4. Girls wore biker shorts under their skirts and felt stylishly sexy.
5. You yearned to be a member of the Baby Sitters Club and tried to start a club of your own.
(Yeah, I DID successfully start a club of my own.)
6. You owned those lil' Strawberry Shortcake pals scented dolls.
7. You know that "WOAH " comes from Joey on Blossom
8. Two words: Hammer Pants
9. If you ever watched "Fraggle Rock"
(really only two or three times)
10. You had plastic streamers on your handle bars... and "spokey-dokes" or playing cards on your spokes for that incredible sound effect (I didn’t have streamers, but I did have those things on my spokes. I didn’t know they were called spokey dokes though.)
11. You can sing the entire theme song to "Duck Tales" (Woo ooh!) This is hilarious because just a month or so ago a bunch of us were trying to remember it.
12. It was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons. (Not at my house.)
13. You wore a ponytail on the side of your head.
14. You saw the original "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" on the big screen...and still know the turtles names.
(Big screen – no. But I’m still giving myself this one, because Michelangelo, Donatello, Leonardo, and… oh no… who was the other one? Oh, Raphael. Anyway, they were really a big part of my life for awhile.)
15. You got super-excited when it was Oregon Trail day in computer class at school. (OH MY GOD, YES!!!)
16. You made your mom buy one of those clips that would hold your shirt in a knot on the side. (I really tried to make my own, but it just wasn’t the same.)
17. You played the game "MASH" (Mansion, Apartment, Shelter, House) (Sometimes I STILL play MASH.)
18. You wore stonewashed Jordache jean jackets and were proud of it. (um… I had stonewashed Jordache JEANS, but not jean jacket)
19. L.A. Gear....need I say more?
20. You wanted to change your name to "JEM " (She's truly outrageous.) (Nah, I watched Jem sometimes, but I wasn’t that into her)
21. You remember reading "Tales of a fourth grade nothing" and all the Ramona books. (I still love Ramona)
22. You know the profound meaning of "WAX ON, WAX OFF"
23. You wanted to be a Goonie. (Nope, I didn’t manage to watch that until high school)
24. You ever wore fluorescent clothing. (some of us...head-to-toe) (TOTALLY!)
25.You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off and his cheeks shifted.
26. You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the only female smurf.
27. You took lunch boxes to school... and traded Garbage Pail kids in the schoolyard.
28. You remember the CRAZE, then the BANNING of slap bracelets. (yes! How cool, and yet how dangerous those things were!)
29. You still get the urge to say "NOT" after every sentence. (and sometimes I do)
30. You remember Hypercolor t-shirts.
31. Barbie and the Rockers was your favorite band.
32. You thought She-Ra (Princess of Power!) and He-Man should hook up. (Didn’t they?)
33. You thought your childhood friends would never leave because you exchanged handmade friendship bracelets. (Yes, we certainly made friendship bracelets, but I was never so naïve to think that friends don’t leave.)
34. You ever owned a pair of jelly-Shoes. (and like #24, probably in neon colors, too) (Mom wouldn’t let me. But I’m bolding this one just because I wanted them SOOOO badly.)
35. After you saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure you kept saying "I know you are, But what am I?" (No. I thought he was creepy, and it irritated me beyond words when people said stupid things he said.)
36. You remember "I've fallen and I can't get up"
37. You remember going to the skating rink before there were inline skates. (Oh… Skateland memories…)
38. You ever got seriously injured on a Slip and Slide. (Well, only scrapes and bruises, but certainly lots of them.)
39. You have ever played with a Skip-It.
40. You had or attended a birthday party at McDonald's. (With all my Waldorf friends? Um, no.)
41. You've gone through this nodding your head in agreement. (And also bolding those I especially relate to, and adding comments.)
42. You remember Popples.
43. "Don't worry, be happy"
44. You wore like, EIGHT pairs of socks over tights with high top Reebok's.
45. You wore socks scrunched down (and sometimes still do...getting yelled at by "younger hip" members of the family)
(No, I don’t still do that, but I totally mastered that art. And it was. An art.)
46. You remember boom boxes. .. and walking around with one on your shoulder like you were all that.
47. You remember watching both "Gremlins " movies. (Autumn, at your dad's house.)
48. You know what it meant to say "Care Bear Stare!!"
49. You remember watching "Rainbow Bright" and "My Little Pony Tales"
50. You thought Doogie Howser/Samantha Micelli was hot. (I’m pretty sure I STILL think Doogie Howser is hot.)
51. You remember Alf, the lil furry brown alien from Melmac.
52. You remember New Kids on the Block when they were cool...and don't even flinch when people refer to them as "NKOTB". (I bold this one, because it only asks if I remember when they were cool - not if I though they were cool. Because I didn't.)
53. You knew all the characters names and their life stories on "Saved By The Bell," The ORIGINAL class. (Who are we talking? The middle school class? I wasn’t so into them. I don’t remember all them for sure. There was Zach Morris of course, and Screech Powel. And A.C. Slater. And Lisa Turtle (was that her last name?). And Kelly Kepouski. But then there was that other girl in middle school. With long brown curly hair and classes. I don’t know her name. Then in high school there was Tory for awhile. And then there was Jessy Spano. Jessy was the greatest. I liked Jessy. I loved it when Jessy and Zach kissed when they were practicing for Sleeping Beauty. And… oh, never mind, I loved EVERY episode. Okay, so I know all the high school people.)
54. You know all the words to Bon Jovi - SHOT THROUGH THE HEART.
55. You just sang those words to yourself.
56. You remember watching Magic vs. Bird.
57. Homemade Levi shorts.. (the shorter the better)
58. You remember when mullets were cool!
59. You had a mullet!
(NO!!! Actually, as a toddler I did.)
60. You still sing "We are the World" (AND, I know it in sign language, too.)
61. You tight rolled your jeans. (oh TOTALLY! I forget about that important technique.)
62. You owned a banana clip. (duh)
63. You remember "Where's the Beef?"
64. You used to (and probably still do) say "What you talkin' about Willis?"
65. You had big hair and you knew how to use it.
66. You're still singing shot through the heart in your head, aren't you!!!

5 Comments:

  • At 5/16/2005 11:57 PM, Blogger Jess said…

    It's official. Despite my birth occurring in 1981, I relate to almost none of those. Definitely nothing strongly. Some stuff I was aware of in passing, but I don't think I ever owned neon clothing...

     
  • At 5/17/2005 7:55 AM, Blogger toni said…

    really, jess? there wasn't ONE thing that when you read it you thought, "I DID THAT!!" ? (where does one put the question mark in that sentance? i hate awkward question marks!)

     
  • At 5/17/2005 11:46 AM, Blogger Autumn Hoverter, MS, RD said…

    Wow, I remeber most of that stuff. I will admit to being rather culterally out of it but I do remember most of it. And I loved Save by the Bell and I'm still singing Shot Throug the Heart;)

     
  • At 5/18/2005 9:40 PM, Blogger Jess said…

    Um...Okay, MASH. I played MASH at slumber parties regularly. And I read Ramona. But come on! It's Ramona! And there were others books that were much more significant to me then.

     
  • At 5/21/2005 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am 50 years old and this made me aware of the recycling of trends. I think I was in on the REAL originals of # 1, 10, 12, 13, 21, 25, 37, and 57.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Who Links Here